Friday, June 8, 2012

Girl's Camp '12

Another year at Girl's Camp! 
I had the opportunity to go to girls camp again this year :)  I love girl's camp, I always have, which made this year a hard year to attend.  The day prior to going our Ward (church) announced they would be splitting our ward and I would be going to the newly established ward...which meant that I would be released from my just over 2 year calling as the Beehive advisor (over 12 and 13 year olds).  It really didn't even hit me until I had been at camp for over a day and realized this would be my last activity w/ all the girls and leaders.  So, needless to say, I've loved my calling of being in young womens, and I miss it a lot.  Girls camp ran June 4th-8th and I was able to attend Monday night through Thursday night, so pretty much the whole time thanks to Cameron and some really good friends who were so willing to take turns watching the boys during the day.  Thanks Meredith, Annie, Kristy, Chelsi, Cassandra and Jennae for watching them for me, it meant a lot to me to be able to go to camp and to know they were in good hands.  And thanks for Cameron for taking such wonderful care of them each evening w/o me.

This years theme was "My Amazing Race". Which teaches about the experiences we have in our lives. There are diversions and discouragements that will attempt to lure us from our path. But its through God's strength we can "fear not, be not dismayed" and find happiness in our journey/race back to Him.  We had Amazing Race events, which were like minute to win it games separated in teams w/ prized after and just fun activities to include the theme.  Oh forgot to mention, we also had our camp as just our ward, which was a lot of fun!

Leaders got to paddle boat, while the girls canoed.  My good buddy Lori and I had our own boat.

Kristy, Heather and Kari were the other leaders that day.

Top left to right: Kristy, Heather, Kari, and Oakley.  Cassidy, Alysse, Amanda, Lori, Ashley, Me and Amber.  Dallas, Brooklyn, Marianna and Nayely.

We played tons of fun games, including flour volleyball.  We each had several little hoes filled w/ flour and tied off.  We split up into 2 teams and played across a lowered volleyball net.  We then threw the flour balls at each other and if you were hit you got out. And then you just played until all team members from one team were out.  It was a lot of fun and quite a floury mess.

We of course made lots of crafts, this one was making lanterns out of Mason jars.

The girls and most leaders went on a hike while Kristy and I set up a spa activity.  They came back to this all set up.  We filled up baby pools full of hot water to soak their feet in and then we were all able to paint our finger and toe nails and get facials.  The guy in the background?  Yeah, he was a great sport.  He came up for the day to help his wife Kristy out w/ the hike and everything else. 

Afterward we got ready for dinner and our wonderful bishopric and wives came up for dinner, games and testimony meeting. Can I just say that girl's camp testimonies are always so spiritual and has to be my favorite part about the whole week.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to participate in the challenge course this year (which included the zip line) but it was still a lot of fun watching all the girls.

About to head back to camp after the challenge course.  We then got ready for dinner and then I headed home when everyone else was ready for bed.  The girls just cleaned and packed up the next morning, so I didn't miss much.  OH!  I can't end this post w/o mentioning how wonderful our food was that week!  We asked my next door neighbor to be our camp cook.  He's from New Zealand and has pretty much done everything in his lifetime, including owning his own bakery and also being a chef.  So of course we were really lucky to have him.

I had a wonderful week and am so blessed to have been a part of this wonderful Young Women's program.

No comments: