Sunday, September 12, 2010

Girl's Camp 2010

So, just about a 1 1/2 weeks after my family left, I was off to girls camp!!!
Like I've mentioned before, I'm a leader in the Young Women's program in my church. This year we decided to have a girl's camp just for our ward, instead of by steak. We had so much fun! Jamie's, one of the leaders, parents own a cabin in WY and kindly let us use it for our camp, Auguest 5th-7th. It was so nice! I wish I would have taken pictures of it, dang it! Anyways, it was a lot of fun and a great bonding experience for all of us. A leader, and my friend, Kychelle and I got to sleep in a king size bed, so that was fun for me!! I have a queen here at home, plus it was supposed to be camping!!! We didn't have to sleep outside, in tents, and did I mention I had a bed? I had a good time. Oh I also left out one very important detail!!! I went Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday w/o having to watch my kids. I'm sorry if that sounds horrible, but it was such a nice break! I think moms need a break every once in a while. I think I came home w/ more love for my children and husband b/c I was able to have that "me" time, I'm not saying you need to have 3 days alone, but it was sure nice. Nancy watched the boys Thursday while Cam was at work, after work he went there and stayed the night w/ them, she watched them Friday and then they went home Friday night after dinner and Cam took care of them all on his own Friday night and Saturday until I got home. Thank you so much Nancy for watching them and taking care of my family while I was gone. And Cameron, thanks for letting me go and being so willing to take care of the boys for me so I didn't have to feel bad for leaving or worry once while I was gone.
Our them was "Princess Elite Retreat" to help all of us to understand that we are all princesses, as in, we are all daughters of a king, our Heavenly Father. And, it really was a retreat in such a beautiful cabin. Hannah, one of our talented young women, made this banner for our camp, she actually drew and designed the princess on her computer!! I was very impressed.
This was a beautiful view from one of the many large windows in the cabin.

All the princess groups and bags. We did secret sisters where each day each girl gave something, a gift, a quote and a treat, one for each day in their bags.

This was my group, we were the Sleeping Beauty group (which oddly enough was my least favorite princess growing up).

We decorated flip flops with ribbon, isn't this such a cute picture?! My foot is the bottom middle.

We did skits, I was a dude, a dang cute dude I might add.

We went on a few hikes. This was our evening hike, it was beautiful.

Our main hike we went on was very spiritual. We talked about how we all have burdens in our lives and talked about what those might be. Then all the girls were instructed to put rocks in their back packs, they weren't little pebbles either (they had chosen a number earlier w/o knowing what it was for and that was how many rocks they had to choose). They had to hike the first part of the hike w/ these burdens.

All the leader were later instructed to take the rocks from each of the girls and put them in our back packs, to represent Christ lifting our burdens for us. I think this really helped the girls better understand that we aren't alone in this world, we are given help in our lives, weather that be people around us, or our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The leaders had to hike the last part of the hike, which was up hill and the hardest part of the hike might I add, w/ their "burdens." When we got to the end of our hike we all sat around and talked about what we had experienced and were then left alone to write a letter to Christ and our feeling. It was such a wonderful experience.



After the hike we met at this beautiful lake, had lunch and some people swam. It was freezing water, so no, I didn't touch the water!

This was all of us before we left Saturday morning. We all had such a great time, I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to go. I loved every minute of it.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Wow! It looks like you had so much fun!!! I always loved going to Girl's Camp and I'm sure you were the coolest leader there!!!

Sad we didn't get to see each other last weekend, but now I know why!! lol. . LOVE YOU!!!

Kathryn said...

I love your photos.

Janel said...

This brought back so many memories of girls camp...good times!!! And that's where we first met. Remember I slept in your bed and I hardly knew you...ha ha! That sounds so refreshing. I want to go do that. Love ya!

Gennaveeve said...

What a good idea for the hike, I might use that for a family home evening sometime! You look fantastic!!