Friday, February 18, 2011

Refurbishing!!

I have been wanting to refurbish a few pieces of furniture that were given to me by my in-laws (I still have lots more!). If it weren't for my friends Lori and Annie encouraging me to start, they'd probably still be sitting there unfinished.
Lori wanted to do a couple of projects of her own so she invited me over Jan. 19th to do something of my own too. I decided why not try to start my stools?! This is the before picture. I sanded them down, took off the medal that wraps around it then sprayed them black. Then I didn't know where to go from there. All I knew was that I wanted them red w/ a black undertone, i just didn't know how to accomplish this on my own. So, a couple of weeks later Feb. 4th, I called in the pro, my friend Annie and she helped me finish the rest. We painted them red then she taught me how to antique them! And then sprayed a matte finish. And they turned out like this...
Much better right?!

I only wish they didn't have the medal part, oh well I have to keep them or the legs would collapse, they look 10x better than they did. I cleaned them and scrubbed the rust off, so they're much better.

When I called Annie for her help, she said why not bring over your end table and work on that too? So, I did! I forgot to take a before picture, so it's a good thing we have 2! This is the one that has been sitting down in our basement collecting dust and storing papers for us. The one I finished did not have paper stuck to it, but you get the idea. I did not have the vision to see how this piece of furniture could turn out good at all. But Annie sure did!


I mean, look at that ugly gold trimming, how was I supposed to imagine that away! Can you believe this thing (or it's twin) was actually being used in our living room all this time? After sanding, spraying a few coats of black paint and more sanding, we came up w/ this...


And yes, that is a little green toilet in the background, but don't worry, it's never been used!

Wow!!! Did you ever see that coming? Cameron was so impressed! He said it actually looks like a nice piece of furniture! Now I'm thinking I need to dust off it's twin, refurbish it and find a spot for it in our living room too! Thanks Annie for having "the vision" and teaching me your ways, you're great! She helped me finish these pieces all in 1 day! Hopefully sometime I'll have more furniture finished to show you!

8 comments:

Angela said...

I totally remember those stools being at Nancy's house when I would go to visit while growing up. They look fantastic and the side tables too. I wonder if painting the metal part of the stool black or red would make it look even better?

Merideth Sullivan said...

Wow! I am so impressed! They both look awesome and totally like you went out and bought them. Good job!

Katie said...

You did such a good job!! I love them both!! Watch out, it's addicting! Next thing you know you'll be painting everything in your house! =)

Chad & Bonny Day said...

you could probably saw the metal off..love allof it! especially the end table good job!

Amy Piller said...

They all turned out so good, now you need to teach me:)

Brittany Crane said...

Wow teach me. Those look amazing! 10 million times better. You are so talented!

Chinoville said...

Very Nice!!! I have a huge wood entertainment center in my basement I want to refurbish. You pros will have to show me how to do it.

Janel said...

Look at you go! These pieces of furniture look A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! I've had fun catching up on the last few post. You have been busy, so fun! Love ya!

P.S. Derek was just saying today how you guys need to come visit, cause he thinks Cameron's the coolest!