Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Throw Pillows

Remember these?  I made them about a year ago?  Well I decided to give them a little makeover again :)  I don't know if you know anything about Pinterest, but it's wonderful!  I found so many tutorials for some amazing throw pillows.  I finally decided on 3...

And here they are!  This turned out to be the biggest sewing project I've ever done.  I've never made  ruffles before or such huge rosettes.  It was quite a learning experience, and I am pretty happy w/ how they turned out.  It took me a total of 3 days to finish.  The orange one took me 1 1/2 days to finish alone, I guess I had a few technical difficulties.  There are a few flaws in that one, but the other 2 I love!  I like the orange one too, it's probably just b/c I know where I messed up that it bugs me :)


I reused the fabric for the green and orange pillows.  I unstitched them and turned them into envelope pillow covers w/ a creamy fabric for the front.  The 3rd one I redid all together. It turns out I did not like the previous fabric at all!

Day 1: I used the tutorial from 5 Days of Favorite Projects but decided to hem the ruffles prior to starting suggested by The House of Smiths.  (I don't have a ruffle foot so I didn't follow her tutorial past that.)  I was so excited for this pillow!  I've always wanted to know how to ruffle!  And, now I do ;)   I'm pretty sure this one won't fall apart, the other 2...well they're a little iffy.

Day 2:  I decided to redo this pillow all together.  I found this fabric from Joann's Fabric, I love it!  I pretty sure it's an outdoor fabric, so it's really durable and easy to wash off.  I used the tutorial from Trey & Lucy.  She is so cute, I love her style.  She gave a video and step by step picture tutorial.  There was a lot of hand stitching and machine sewing.  I love this one!  Hopefully the flower doesn't fall apart though..haha.

Day 2.5-3: I used the tutorial from Crazy Wonderful to make these 9 rosettes.  Once I got a hang of making the flowers, it was really simple.  But, my iron went out half way through and then my sewing machine starting acting up (due to setting I didn't realize I had it on), but after letting my iron sit over night and cool down, it got back to working and I finished it the 3rd day.  I'm hoping these flowers don't fall apart either, we'll see!  Hopefully I did enough to make them sturdy.

So, that's my latest project.  I have other posts I should be doing prior to this, but I couldn't wait.  I'm really excited w/ the results, like I said this is the biggest sewing project I've ever done.  Is it ok to be proud of myself for a minute and share it?  Hopefully you think so, b/c I'm hoping so!

8 comments:

Carly said...

I am very very very impressed! They look so good!

Annie Duckworth said...

SO so cute.

Katie said...

I LOVE these Brittany!! Seriously love them! I want to make some just like them!!

Angela said...

Those pillows are amazing! Way to go. I keep hearing people talking about pininterest. I guess I better go check it out.

Erin + Geoff said...

wow, these look great Britt! good job.

Janel said...

I love them! They all turned out so cute! My mother in law just left, so she made me new drapes. Helped me with my pillows and my house...it's amazing what pillows can do for a house. I am way impressed you did that all by yourself.

Have you worn your circle skirt yet?

Brittany said...

Thanks everyone!! Angela, you really should get involved in pinterest, it's amazing! Really helps keep everything organized.

And janel, I can't wait to see your drapes and pillows. I really just got the push I needed to make these by visiting you. Andy yes I have worn my circle skirt!! I got several comments! I will post about it when I get all the pictures from our visit :)

The Nielsons said...

love it! You are quite crafty!