Saturday, June 20, 2009

Introducing Connor Allen Long

Connor arrived in our lives Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 10:19 a.m. He weighed in at 7 lbs 3 oz and 19.5 in. Welcome to our family Connor!
I woke up around 3:25 a.m. or so(after Cade's big birthday party) and thought I really needed to go to the bathroom. I tried to put it off because I was so tired and finally I gave in and got up. As soon as I stood up my water broke! I didn't realize my water had broken because it wasn't like on tv where all of a sudden you're standing in a huge puddle, I actually just thought I peed my pants (sorry if I just made you feel uncomfortable). Anyways, after needing to go to the bathroom every few minutes I realized this wasn't normal. So, I called my mom around 4:00 and she convinced me my water had broken and told us to go to the hospital. So, we decided we should get up and get ready. I hadn't packed to go to the hospital because I was actually planning on doing that the day after Cade's birthday. I wasn't ready at all for the baby to come because I thought I still had 2 weeks and 3 days left before he came.
This is me before we went to the hospital. You can see our bags we had to pack in the background.
How many men do you know that can pack their child's bag all on their own? Cameron packed Cade's bags all by himself, he remembered everything! I was too busy packing my own bags to even think about Cade's, so thanks Cam! This is us right before we left for the hospital, around 5:20 a.m. I wasn't having major contractions so we weren't in a huge hurry to leave. We arrived at the hospital around 5:30.
It ended up being that my water had broken and I was dilated to a 3 3/4 when we arrived. Cameron took Cade to his parents after we were all checked in, they watched Cade for us all Wednesday and that night, thanks so much Nancy and Steve. When he got back they gave me an epidural around 7:30 and it was all smooth sailing from then on out. They checked me a little while later and I was at a 4+. Cameron and I watched some tv while we waited, expecting it to be a while until our little guy arrived. We even watched The Price is Right and had a competition to see who guessed the closest prices. Just after 10:00 the nurse came in and checked me again and out of no where I was fully dilated!!! She said he was going to come any minute. She had the doctor come down and they got ready. Finally he had me push during a contraction and he said the head had come out!! I was amazed, that was one contraction! Then he said his body would probably come out completely during my next contraction....and it did!!! 3 minutes after starting to push he was out! Our 2nd little guy arrived at 10:19 a.m.
He weighed 7 lbs 3 oz, 19.5 in (2 oz heavier than Cade and 1/2 in shorter). Oh, just in case you haven't caught on, he was born the day after Cade's 1st birthday.
After his first sponge bath, so cute!
Cade meeting his little brother for the first time. Cade didn't notice him at first, he was too busy climbing all over me. Finally I got his attention and he said, "Ohh, wuzza?" (Oh, what's that?) And then laughed and poked at him.
Our first family picture with all four of us.

We had many visitors. Cameron's parents were actually our first visitors, they brought Cade by to see us too. I didn't get a picture of them at the hospital though, ugh. Cameron's brother, Dave and his family, Lisa, Ellie were our next visitors. They even brought me a Jamba Juice, just what I needed, thanks :) They also watched Cade for us Thursday night and Friday, thank you so much, yall are wonderful!
We actually had a couple of people come and visit from our ward. My visiting teaching companion, JoAnn, and her husband were one of the 1st to come by. This is our wonderful upstairs neighbor, Gennaveeve, and her son, Ansley. She is also my president in the primary presidency (I'm her 2nd counselor). She came to visit and also made that yummy fruit bouquet, it was seriously really good! Thanks!
Our good friends, Merideth, Landon and their son Owen came to visit. Thanks yall, it's so nice to have friends near by.
Cameron and I thought we still had at least a week to come up with a name for our little guy. So, we arrived at the hospital without a name for our baby. We couldn't agree on any names. We had names we each liked on our own, but didn't agree on any. My mom and sister Leah called me every few minutes, it seemed, after giving birth to see if we had come up with a name. During one of the many calls I received from my mom on Thursday we finally came up with an option. She had found a website online and named off several names from it. One name was Connor. I thought, "hmm...I actually kind of like that." So I mentioned the name to Cameron, and for the first time he didn't say no. But, he still needed to think about it. We finally decided on Gavin but only for a few minutes, he said he had buyers remorse and changed his name. Gavin was actually one of my favorite names and he said we could name him that if he could be in charge of the next boy's name, he actually did not like the name Gavin at all. So, we were back to having a nameless baby...naming boys is sooo hard! Finally he decided we would name him Connor, I made him fill out the birth certificate form and turn it in before we announced it to anyone. It was then final!!! Connor Allen Long. Allen is my dad's and grandpa's middle name.Connor getting ready to go to his new home Friday.
Cameron with his 2nd baby boy.
Us getting ready to go home with Connor for the 1st time! AHHH, we're officially parents of 2.
I love this picture of Connor. This was soon after we got home, Connor relaxing on the couch.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Yay! Congratulations! He is darling and I'm glad everything went so well. I love blogs :)

Dana Scarbrough said...

So exciting! Congratulations on making it to the one year mark with Cade, and having two now! I'm so glad things went so smoothly!

Chad & Bonny Day said...

SOOOO CUTE! Put more pics up of the pics that girl took upstairs I want to see them!!

Carly said...

Love the cute picture in the basket! That is awesome that it all happened so fast. 2 pushes! Man! That's crazy that they are almost exactly a year apart in age! It's gonna be a fun couple of years for you! =) Love the name--it is so hard to agree on names isn't it? You found a good one though! He is beyond precious! Can't wait to meet him.

Gennaveeve said...

Crazy girl! I'm glad that boquet was yummy. The left overs were good too =) Let me know if you need anything! Your announcements are almost done!

Janel said...

That picture of connor in the basket is priceless. By the way I love that name. It looks like you guys are doing great. Connor is such a cutie!!! Love ya girl!!!

Brittany Crane said...

Britt how are you handling two kids? I love the picture of Cade poking at Conner. So CUTE!!! I just read all of your latest posts so I hope you don't mind me making one big comment? :) Cameron is a lucky guy! Making him breakfast in bed just after you had a baby. Ben would have been on his own for sure! haha

You look great and like you are in high spirits! Keep it up.

So do you think you will stick with the "C" theme. Cade and Conner....

Diane said...

Congrats! (I'm catching up on posts). He is such a cute newborn! What a great labor too... way to go!