Sunday, March 17, 2013

Maddox Stephen Long

We arrived at the hospital at 11:35 pm November 18th and was at a 5 at 11:40.  I had been so scared they were going to send me home, I had progressed from a 4 from the previous week, but I was still scared.  5 minutes later the nurse came back w/ tons of stuff to hook me up to.  I was so confused so I asked if that meant I was going to get to stay.  She laughed and said, "Of course, you're not going home at a 5."  I was so excited!!  Yay!  It was finally the time!  They got me all settled in and then asked when I'd like an epidural.  I was doing ok and figured I could hold off longer, but I decided I might as well do it sooner than later b/c they were going to have to call the anesthesiologist in.  I figured we should wake him up earlier in the night than in the middle of the night. So when all was said and done, I had the epidural completed by 1 AM.  It wasn't a fun epidural, there was one spot in my back that just did not want to go numb and it kept shocking me, but it finally took and all was well.  Doctor Young came in later and broke my water at 1:20.  They then left us alone to rest and progress more.  I was able to sleep a little, but started to feel really nauseous.  The nurse finally came in to check on me at 2:10 and I asked if she was sure I couldn't have water.  NOPE!  Only ice chips, ugh.  I told her I felt like I was going to throw up.  So she got a barf bag (the coolest ones I've ever seen) and right as she handed it to me, I threw up!!  A couple of times.  It was so weird, I had never thrown up w/ the others.  She said that just happens sometimes from the epidural, lack of sleep and excitement.  She checked me right after and I was 95% effaced and at a 6.  On and off during this time my mom had been texting me.  I told her what happened and she said, "I bet you you'll be ready to have this baby in an hour, throwing up probably pushed that baby down." And you know what?  She was right, about an hour later, at 3:15 I was at a 10! The nurse got everything ready, called the doctor and and had me do a few practice pushes at 3:30 before the doctor got in.  I pushed through about 2 contractions w/ the doctor when...
Maddox Stephen Long decided to join this world at 3:37 AM, November 19th.  He weighed in at 7 lbs 5 oz and was 20 inches long.
 
 
Oddly enough, they didn't plop him on me right after Cameron cut the cord.  The took him off and cleaned him off, wrapped him up and then handed him to me.  But, it was ok, they did it quickly, handed him to us and we fell in love!

Look at that big yawn!! 
 

Soon after they gave him his first bath, which was the quickest they ever bathed any of my boys!  We were usually settled in our room before any of their baths.  I liked this way much better.  While bathing the nurse put the q-tips in the bath and he grabbed one.  She said he had a death grip on it! haha it was so cute!
 
Look at all that hair!
 



At 4:05 I fed him for the first time and he at great!

All settled in our new room by 5:25 AM.  I have a fun story about that name tag above his cute little head.  When we arrived to the hospital the nurse asked what we were going to name him.  If you know Cameron and I at all then you know we don't agree on names, so we arrived to the hospital w/o a set name.  We told her we had no idea but the only name we both hadn't said no to was Maddox.  She said she really like that name and later came in w/ this cute decorated name card.  She said it was just in case we did go w/ the name, otherwise she'd be happy to make another one.  Because of that we decided we might as well go w/ Maddox, the card was already made :)

Poor Cameron, trying to catch some shut eye before visitors arrive.

2 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

What a cute babe! Good job mama!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Aww such long legs and such a cutie!